Cavities can happen to anyone at any age. In addition to regular dental checkups and professional cleanings from Western Dental, good oral hygiene including daily brushing and flossing can help prevent cavities.
How to Prevent Cavities
Fortunately, there are many things you can do to avoid getting a cavity. Western Dental recommends that you:
- Brush at least twice a day to remove food particles, sugar and bacteria from your mouth
- Use toothpaste or mouthwash containing fluoride, an agent that strengthens teeth and protects against cavities
- Floss between your teeth everyday to remove plaque that your toothbrush might miss
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks like cookies, candy, soda, and juice
- Schedule regular dental visits (6 months) for your routine cleaning and exam
How Western Dental Treats Cavities
If we discover a cavity, our dentists will treat it as soon as possible to keep it from threatening the future health of your tooth or causing you further tooth pain. Our dentists typically follow these steps when filling a cavity:
1) We make you as comfortable as possible
2) We numb the tooth area to prevent any pain
3) We remove all tooth decay from your tooth
4) We fill your cavity to make your tooth whole again
Western Dental offers a variety of cavity filling materials including silver and white fillings. Each has different advantages and our dentists will help you determine the best dental filling material for you or your child’s unique situation.
If you have any questions about teeth cleaning, cavities, or tooth pain, please contact Western Dental to make an appointment.